As in any type of accident, it is always a good idea to contact an experienced injury lawyer for advice regarding your rights and responsibilities.
However, the following simple, yet important steps can and should be taken by a person who is a victim of a hit and run accident:
- Call 911. As soon as you feel that you have been a victim of a hit and run accident, you should call the authorities to report it. This will increase the chances of the run away driver being arrested and brought to justice.
- Write down the license plate number along with any identifying description of the vehicle or the driver.
- Obtain contact information of any witnesses at the scene of the accident.
- Take pictures of the scene. Take as many pictures or videos of the scene, broken glass, skid marks and debris left behind.
- If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately.
- Contact a California Hit and Run Accident Attorney immediately
Hit and run accidents present complicated legal issues such as negligence law, insurance coverage issues, governmental benefits, and often elements of criminal law.
Injured individuals can recover damages under the uninsured motorist provision of their own automobile insurance policy. An experienced auto accident lawyer can advise the injured person regarding possible insurance coverage issues.
If the at fault party is identified and charged with a crime, the victim may also seek restitution for his or her damages as part of the criminal proceeding.
They may also be entitled to benefits under the State’s Victim Compensation Program, as a source of last resort. An experienced California injury lawyer can be a great asset in presenting such claims to the State of California.
If you have been a victim of a hit and run accident or any type of injury accident, contact us for a FREE CONSULTAION AND EVALUATION OF YOUR CASE.